Most people are surprised when they find out that there are different styles of acupuncture; for instance, the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese acupuncture. Acupuncture is one of the oldest treatment techniques used in the world and is still utilized today.
Many people in the UAE have embraced acupuncture as an alternative to modern medicine because of its many benefits. When you visit an acupuncture Dubai specialist, you will notice that the treatment is non-invasive and has few side-effects.
The Origin of Acupuncture
Acupuncture is largely based on Chinese and alternative medicine. However, there are different styles and sub-styles based on history, culture and geography. Acupuncture originated in China and made its way to Japan via Korea in the 6th Century. This treatment has been practiced in these countries for over 1400 years. When you visit an acupuncturist, it is important to understand what type of acupuncture he practices. This is because different styles have unique philosophies, and there can be changes in the practice.
Difference between Korean, Japanese, and Chinese Acupuncture
Korean, Japanese, and Chinese acupuncture originate from Traditional Chinese Medicine. It is not only important for us to understand that these styles are different, but to know the exact differences.
Features of Japanese Acupuncture
Japanese acupuncture differs in many ways from other styles;
- In Japanese Acupuncture, the needles are sharper and of smaller gauge, which makes it easier on the patient. When you visit your acupuncture Dubai specialist for this treatment, you notice that the insertion technique is different. The needles are inserted on the surface of the skin in a special layer. Although a Japanese acupuncture needle uses more points, it uses less manipulation. This covers a large surface and yields positive results.
- Japanese acupuncture utilizes palpation before using needles. The specialist palpates the abdomen and other body parts to determine the state of the energetic strength and flow from their touch. Specialists use their intuitive skills using palpation together with other senses.
- You can always expect a variety of practices when you visit an acupuncture Dubai center for Japanese acupuncture. For instance, Japanese specialists almost always use moxibustion. They use mugwort plant to warm the acupoints right after removing the needles. This therapy promotes blood circulation, warms internal organs, and offers a deep warmth to resolve issues of too much ‘cold’ or ‘damp’ in organs.
- Japanese acupuncture takes longer compared to traditional Chinese Medicine, which offers shorter, frequent treatments usually 2-3 sessions a week.
- In Japanese acupuncture, the practitioner uses plastic or metal tubes, which guide the acupuncture needles into your skin. This technique reduces pain and promotes efficiency. Unlike Chinese acupuncture, where the patient notifies the practitioner when he feels a dull sensation; in Japanese acupuncture, the specialist uses his sense of touch to feel when the qi arrives. The patient might not feel anything at this point.
- In this method, the needles do not pierce deeply they are inserted to about 1-5mm deep. Chinese acupuncture, on the other hand, focuses on the fleshy parts of the body. These needles are inserted between 1 and 5 cm in the skin. You will notice that your acupuncture Dubai specialist focuses on areas below the skin where there are plenty of nerves that send message to the brain.
- In Chinese acupuncture, the needles are larger compared to Korean and Japanese because of this, the patients feel a slight sensation on insertion. The needles are much thicker and inserted deeper. However, this technique uses fewer needles compared to Japanese acupuncture. Your acupuncture Dubai specialists applies more vigorous manipulation on the few acupoints.
- Chinese acupuncture use herbs together with their treatment. Acupuncturists use herbs alongside acupuncture to maximize the effects of this treatment. These herbs come from different leaves, roots, bark, stems, seeds, and flowers. For instance, ginger, cinnamon bark, ginseng, rhubarb, and licorice. Your acupuncture Dubai specialist and others around the world use ginseng mostly because it has a wide range of uses.
- Like Japanese acupuncture, Chinese acupuncture uses moxibustion therapy to speed up the effects of the treatment. Heat is generated during moxibustion, which increases the flow of energy throughout the body through meridian (pathways). According to Chinese acupuncturists, stimulating this vital energy is essential to achieve health. Moxibustion can either be direct or indirect. Most practitioners use the indirect technique which involves burning mugwort or wormwood herbs on top of the acupuncture needles.
- If you visit your acupuncture Dubai specialist for Chinese acupuncture, you are likely to experience a slight sensation. You are most likely to feel a distinct sensation of qi energy moving through various acupoints. This is because the practitioner shifts and rotates the needles when compared to Japanese acupuncture. Further, Chinese acupuncture needles use more depth, which creates distinct sensations.
- Sometimes, the specialist might decide to use electroacupuncture. This technique works by stimulating nerves, muscles, circulation of essential substances, and removing inflammatory chemicals.
- Diagnostics in Korean acupuncture focuses on a full analysis based on an old concept from Chinese Medicine. This treatment requires a separate book of prescription and focuses on organs such as the ear and hand.
- When you decide to go for Korean acupuncture, you will notice that your acupuncture Dubai specialist uses 4 needles. Korean acupuncture is commonly known as the ’four-needle technique.’ The 4 needles are divided into 2 groups. One group reduces the qi or sedates one organ system while the other increases qi or tonifies the other organ system.
Acupuncture is an old form of treatment that originated in ancient China and spread to other parts of the world. Japanese, Korean, and Chinese have several similarities and differences. They all use needles to treat various conditions. The differences lie in the techniques, sizes of needles, and use of herbs. For instance, Japanese acupuncture uses thinner needles compared to the Chinese technique. Korean acupuncture, on the other hand, uses only 4 needles. This means that although these techniques have a common origin, they still differ in various ways. However, these differences do not stand in their way of effectiveness. Acupuncture is beneficial and helps to treat and provide relief for various ailments.