The role of Healthy Diet in TCM
Since food is one of our primary sources of energy, it has great potential to influence our health. Food can be considered as Medicine, dietetic therapy of traditional Chinese medicine is one of the important parts for well-being.
- Garlic helps prevent diarrhea
- Mung beans help prevent heat stroke
- Kelp and Seaweed helps prevent goiter
- The animal liver helps prevent night blindness
- Fruits and Vegetables helps prevent scurvy
ANTI AGING EFFECT
- Date (Fructus Jujubae)
AUXILIARY TREATMENT EFFECT
- Red bean —— Edema
- Glutinous rice —— Dampness
- Chicken soup —— Asthenic disease
How To Eat Healthy?
Eat according to season
- Spring(Green) is the best season for nourishing the liver
- Summer(Red) is the best season for nourishing the heart
- Autumn(White) is the best season for nourishing the lungs
- Winter(Black) is the best season for nourishing the kidneys
A Balanced Diet
- Grains 6 to 8 servings per day
- Fresh Fruits & Vegetables 4 to 5 servings of each per day
- Lean Protein 2 to 3 servings per day
- Low-fat Dairy 2 to 3 servings per day
- Legumes or Nuts/Seeds 4 to 5 servings per week
- Fats and Sweets Limited
Integrate with different flavors
- Sour food enters the liver and helps stop sweating, eases coughing
- Salt food enters kidneys and can drain, purge and soften masses
- Bitter food enters the heart and helps cool heat and dry any dampness
- Spicy food enters the lungs and helps stimulate appetite
- Sweet food enters the stomach and spleen and helps lubricate the body
Eat regularly, slowly and without extremes
You can also use the Five Elements Theory to eat Optimally
The five elements of a diet guide
For over two thousands of years a simple but profoundly effective Five Element Theory has been guiding traditional Chinese medicine and nutritional health recipes. The five elements are metal, wood, water, fire, and earth.
The five elements theory is used for lots of things. And every element of this theory represents a different item.
When this theory is applied to the diet, traditional Chinese medicine doctors recommend that we should eat foods that correspond to physical conditions or season. . . For example, if you have some health issues with your liver, it is better to eat Leafy greens, such as spinach, cabbage, beet greens and watercress.
- The element of liver and gallbladder
- Coordinate with the springtime
- Represent energy, motivation, and new beginnings
The color of wood property food: Green
Almost all green-colored foods are good for your liver, gallbladder, eyes, and tendons. As you know, in Dubai, we can find many green-colored and nutritious foods, like lots of leafy greens, lettuces, peas, celery, green beans and broccoli.
- The element of heart and pericardium
- Coordinate with the summertime
- Represent growing
The color of fire property food: Red
According to the five elements theory, the food in red color can be used to nourish heart, small intestine, brain and pulse. The fire property foods are included carrots, pomegranates, strawberry, tomato, red beans, jujube, sweet potato, goji berry, dragon fruit, apple, even if brown sugar.
- The element of spleen and stomach
- Coordinate with the late-summertime
- Represent nurturing, stability and digestion
The color of earth property food: yellow
Actually, if your diet has any kind of yellow-colored food, it’s helpful for your digestive system, spleen, mouth and muscle. There are many earth property foods in our food, such as corn, yellow sweet potato, taro, pineapple, papaya, peanut, walnut, and honey. oats, pumpkin, butternut squash, yellow pepper, soybeans and egg yolk.
- The element of lung and large Intestine
- Coordinate with the autumntime
- Represent harvest
The color of metal property food: white
As the five elements theory said that eating white-colored food is benefit for lungs, large intestine, nose and respiratory system, and skin. The list includes fish, chicken, onion, garlic, pear, banana, almond, white sesame, rock sugar, and more
- The element of kidney and bladder
- Coordinate with the wintertime
- Represent storage
The color of water property food: black
Chinese medicine doctors generally believe that black-colored foods are good for your kidneys, bladder, bones, ears, and reproductive organs. These water property foods like seaweed, shiitake mushrooms, eggplant, black beans, raisins, blueberry, black grapes, black sesame, black vinegar, and more.